- 16 Boston, bibb or butter lettuce leaves (or head of lettuce, rinsed, using large leaves) Hint-cheaper and better hold of the good stuff.shopping list
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 large onion — chopped
- 1/2 Cup pine nuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili pepper sauce (see Note)
- 1 can (8 ounce size) sliced water chestnuts — drained, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions — thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
How to Make:
- Rinse lettuce leaves, keeping them whole. Set aside to drain.
- Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often to break up the meat. Add onion, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar and chili sauce. Cook until the meat is crumbled and brown. Add water chestnuts, pine nuts and green onions. Cook until onions begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in sesame oil. Arrange lettuce leaves on the outer edge of a platter. Spoon meat mixture in center. Allow diners to spoon meat mixture into lettuce leaves and eat like a taco.
- Note: Asian chili pepper sauce can be found in the Asian section of most supermarkets. Some brands contain garlic, which is fine. You can use 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes instead.
❤ Melanie Behnke