- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 carrots, grated and chopped small
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound processed American cheese, cubed (the Velveeta block)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Sprinkle salt and bouillon over the mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain.
- Stir cooked beef and 2 cups milk into the soup and heat through. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk with flour, stirring until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until melted. Season with cayenne.
❤ Anna Burud