*1 loaf French bread (13-16 oz)
*8 large eggs
*2 C half-and-half
*1 C milk
*2 T granulated sugar
*1 t vanilla extract
*¼ t ground cinnamon
*¼ t ground nutmeg
*Praline topping (recipe follows)
1. Generously butter a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Slice French bread into approximately 20 slices, 1-inch each. Arrange slices in dish in 2 rows, overlapping slices. (Use extra bread for something else, do NOT try to pack much more than this into your dish or you’ll have a spill-over).
3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly.
4. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices.
5. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Prepare Praline topping by combining the following ingredients in a medium bowl:
½ lb (2 slicks) butter
1 C packed light brown sugar
1 C chopped pecans
2 T light corn syrup
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
½ t ground nutmeg
8. Spread praline topping evenly over the bread.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.